Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 152: Æbleskiver and Gløgg

It looks like Christmas is fast approaching. The first of what appears to be a series of Scandinavian Christmas markets was on Saturday. First up? The 'Julemarked' or in Dutch the 'Deense Kerstmarkt' or in a civilized language: The Danish Christmast Market. I got to visit the market in the Company of a Dane, and two Icelanders who enjoyed speaking their weird form of danish in loud obnoxious voices. However, it taught me the secret to speaking Danish. Just mumble gibberish while pretending to have a potatoe in your throat.
Anyways, the Danish Christmas market was selling lots of different goods. Various Danish food, clothes, decorations, etc... After wandering through, we sat down to enjoy some Æbleskiver and Gløgg. What is this? Well, Æbleskiver is some kind of waffle and Gløgg is an interesting drink, to say the least... It is many kinds of alcohol, such as cognac, and snapps, mixed with almonds, raisins, and cinnamon. The cinnamon gives it a really nice smell, unfortunately, I can't quite say the same for the taste. It wasn't bad, but I certainly didn't go for seconds. The Æbleskiver was quite tasty though.
With my Æbleskiver and Gløgg:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO you drink the stuff warm I guess? Fun! I'd like to try!

Sarah said...

Gloegg should be made with red wine and gloeggmix (yes I'm at work I don't have Norwegian letters here), almonds and raisins... Mmmmm. Let me know if they're planning to have a Norwegian market as well. ;)