Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hyvää Joulua!

On Sunday I went to the Finnish market with some friends. One of whom was Finnish. This was very important for me, because I thought the Danish Market was that much more interesting, because I was there with a Dane, who told me what was good and bad. The Norwegian market was not as interesting because there were no Norwegians to give me guidance. So, I met Marjo(Finnish girl) the previous tuesday, and the first thing I said to her on finding out that she was Finnish, was: Wanna go to the Finnish market with me? Fortunately she was agreable.
There was quite a large selection in the Market to choose from, from food to books to handicrafts. I was most interested in food. Here's the Finnish Seaman's Church, which is where the market was:

Inside the supermarket part, they had quite a selection of chocolates and liquorice.

Marjo bought us some karjalanpiirakka. A very funny sounding word, when you say it, it's important to really emphasize the end: karjalanpiira-KA. Anyways, it was rice wrapped in some kind of pastry with scrambled egg on top. A unique but tasty food.
Next was some glogi and joulutorttu. As I already told my Danish friend, the Finnish Glogi was much better than the Danish Glogg. Sorry... The joulutorttu was also quite delicious.
We also bought some different kinds of liquorice. Yummy!
Overall, I've decided I approve of Finnish food. However, another Finnish friend of mine told me that she had never heard of anyone ever eating all these foods together at the same time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The weather was also typically Finnish (well, what I think is Finnish weather anyway) IT WAS COLD! :)