Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vlieg van de meisjes

In the Netherlands, many people ride bikes. Almost every street has special designated areas for bikes. One of the interesting things I've noticed is how the dutch ride, especially the girls. The majority of dutch girls ride high on their bike, so that their feet can't reach the ground. Therefore, when they come to a stop they must hop down off the seat to balance properly. At rush hour it is quite common to come to a red light, and find a number of girls, with one foot on the ground, and one foot on a pedal, standing, waiting for a green light. Then when the light turns green they start pushing with their foot, a few times even, before they jump up onto their seat and start peddling. I always think that it reminds me of a flock of birds trying to take off. They need to take a few steps before they can get enough speed to get airborne.
Anyways, this is the kind of thing I notice and spend my time thinking about. Maybe I need a hobby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaaaa!!! Do I also do this? ;) I didn't think so :D

Anonymous said...

I had my seat adjusted similarly to how you describe in your post, until the local Bike Guru (i.e., my boyfriend) told me that having it a bit lower would better suit the terrain where we now live.

There are a lot of rolling hills in our county, so having the seat so high makes it harder to push at a high rate.

When we were living in Halifax, biking in the city was a lot more leasurely than what I have to do around here because of the difference in topography, so I suppose he has a point ... .

Stamatia said...

I haven't biked in years (I didn't like the last new bike I got as a kid, nor the a-holes who lived in my neighborhood and would shot rude things at me, so I stopped biking), but my boyfriend tried to get me to start again last year, on his dad's bike. And I didn't like how I couldn't touch the ground once I was on it, it made me feel really uncomfortable...

...I think I'd love one of those reclining bikes. I'd be all over the place with one of those, but it wouldn't really work someplace hilly like Fredericton...

Victor said...

They have a lot of those reclining bikes here. They look very comfortable!