Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 25: 'Bestemming' aka A lesson in Dutch

Bestemming (n): destination, end of the line, train stops here.

Today, I meant to go on a bike trip to a castle near Amsterdam, Muiderslot. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. However I learned a very valuable dutch lesson. I learned the definition of the word 'bestemming'. The bike trip left from a train station called 'Amsterdam Amstel'. The best way to get to this station, without having to go to Amsterdam Centraal first, is by taking the Sprinter train to Amsterdam via Gouda. This train stops at all the stops on the way to Amsterdam Centraal. When I checked the Dutch railway website this morning, everything looked fine. When I got to the station and went to track 12, the electronic sign stated that it was going to Amsterdam Centraal, as it should. I got on to the train and took my seat. I noticed that the electronic sign on the train said: 'Bestemming: Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel'. I figured it meant that Nieuwerkerk was the next stop, or that it wasn't stopping there today. Well, I turned out to be wrong. I found out after the train had left and they made an announcement. The announcment caused some of the locals to get excited, so I asked what was wrong. A very helpful man told me that the train was going no further than Niuwerkerk, apparently, there was a problem with the track to Gouda. So, as I had no choice, I got out at Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel, and took the train back to Rotterdam. By the time I got back to Rotterdam, it was too late to go another way. Oh well, at least, I won't ever forget what the word 'bestemming' means.

Het is jammer. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dat is zeker jammer. En raar ook. Kon je niet vanuit Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel verder gaan, in plaats van terug naar ROtterdam?