Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 55: Het weer

Why do we like to complain about the weather so much? Why do I like to complain about it so much? Is it something unique to me? Is it unique to Canadians? The Economist City Guide to Toronto when suggesting topics for small talk before meetings suggests talking about the weather. I find myself complaining about the weather here in the Netherlands often. It rains quite often, which I don't like because I enjoy going out to do stuff. I didn't come all the way to the Netherlands to sit inside. On the other hand, I don't like it when I get very warm here either. It gets very humid. Also, my room is on the top floor under a flat roof, which means my room is often warmer than it is outside.
Perhaps I'm just too picky. Maybe I just miss Canadian summers, which are sunny and hot. But, at least I would have my cold basement or an airconditioner to retreat to... It seems all I can do here, is go and hang out in the meat section at Albert Heijn.
It is quit strange though that if you compare the average monthly precipitation between Fredericton(87.1mm) and the Netherlands(70mm) for july, you find that we have much more in Fredericton. With all the rainy days I've had here, how does that work? Does it just rain harder back home? Does it rain more often at night?
The point of this post is that i'm tired of thinking about the weather, and most of all tired of complaining about it. So no more! My resolution for august is just to relax, and not think about the weather! If any of you should catch me, be sure to give me a good smack about the head. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It seems all I can do here, is go and hang out in the meat section at Albert Heijn."

Hihihi

Well, I can tell you, never visit Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man then, because here, it's even worse! The rain I mean, the rain, rain, and nothing else but rain.. :)