Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 62: My day as a tour guide!

Tuesday evening I met some German couchsurfers at the Rotterdam weekly meeting. They were looking for someone to show them around Rotterdam the next day. So, I met them Wedensday after lunch on my bike, and we set off on a bike tour of Rotterdam. It was strange being a tour guide in a city that is still unfamiliar to me, but I think I managed. We started at the Erasmus bridge, and headed to see the Cube houses. A must see for everyone visiting Rotterdam. Then on to the old harbour, and along the water front. The wind was blowing so hard, it was amazing! We would come around a corner on our bikes and almost be stopped in our tracks. Several times we got blown into each other. By the end of the day, there was branches and leaves scattered over the ground everywhere. After the water front we went through some parks and then to the Euromast. The top most part of the tower had actually been closed down due to the wind. But we still had a nice view from where we got to. This is the second time i've been up the euromast, and it always reminds me of the closeness of everything in the Netherlands. When looking to the northwest, you can see the tall buildings of The Hague on the skyline. After the Euromast we biked over to Noordereiland, which I had never been to. Then we wrapped up the trip with a ride through Kralingse Bos. We saw quite a bit of the city, and I saw a lot of stuff I hadn't seen before. Overall, a very good day. If only I could have gotten this out of my head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCFpFgpEvk

No comments: