Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 107: Bike Repair 101

Since my bike is my primary and very important mode of transportation around the city and to work, it's essential that it works properly. My bike is pretty old and used, and I've had some trouble with it since I bought it. It needed a new brake, a new power generator for the light and the tube for one of the tires had to be replaced twice(the second time for free thankfully). So, i've had to spend more than I would have liked repairing it. A few weeks ago I was complaining about all the money I had spent to a Dutch friend. She went on to tell me that the prices were a ripoff and a real Dutchman would repair it himself. So, I said if she knew so much about bike repair, that next time I had a problem I would give her a call, and she could show me how. Apparently they teach this stuff in some Dutch high schools. Yesterday, when I discovered a flat tire on my bike, and a 5cm wire sticking out of it, I knew who to phone. With her help, I set off to learn how to 'lekke band plakken'. First I had to buy my own repair kit, a 'Bandenreparatiedoos'. Inside is included '3 kunststof bandenlichters', 'tube solutie', 'bandenplakkers', 'ventielslangetje', 'schuurpapiertje', and a 'buitenbandplakker'. The first step is to take the tire off the frame with the 'kunsthof bandenlichters'. Here is the instructor demonstrating:
Then the 'binnenband' has to be removed from inside the 'buitenband'. Once the 'binnenband' is out it needs to be pumped up so you can find the leak. We discovered the leak with a very ingenious method. The instructor had a small container containing plastic beads, and a grate on the bottom. By moving this device over the tire we could locate the leak by noticing when the beads started to move. I really would like to know who spent the time inventing this thing. Once the leak was located, we used the 'schuurpapiertje' to clean the hole. Then the 'bandplakker' is applied to the hole, and held in place for 5 minutes. Here is the finished result:
The 'binnenband' is pumped up to see if the 'plakker' is holding, and then the leak is fixed. Next, deflate the 'binnenband' and stuff it back in the 'buitenband'. Finally, reinflate the tire:
Finished! I took the bike for a test drive, and everything seemed to be back to normal. I can now hopefully fix my own tire the next time I get a puncture. I'm feeling more Dutch already...

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Not to ruin it for you or anything, but I don't think being able to fix a puncture in your bike wheel is particularly Dutch... Granted, they don't teach you how to do that in high school in Norway, but that's probably because people's parents have already taught them when they were kids.

Anonymous said...

Hihihi, this is hilarious :D

But, it is 'kunststof' you know.

And
With her help, I set off to 'lekke band plakken' my tire.

I think you set off to 'plakken' your 'platte' tire. :D

And Sarah is right, I also learned to plak mijn lekke band from my mom, not school..

Victor said...

Well... those are some good points. However! :p I look at it as a dutch experience because:
1. It happened in the Netherlands. :P
2. I learned new Dutch vocabulary
3. My instructor was Dutch.
4. In all my 20 years or so of bike riding, I've never had a flat tire that had to be repaired... until I moved here, where I've had three flats in less than a month. (which also explains why I've never learned how to fix one.)
Conclusion: I felt like it was a very Dutch experience. :P

Victor said...

Hmm, you're right that doesn't make much sense... I can't really 'leaky tire patch' my tire... I'll fix it!

Anonymous said...

I would like to see the thingy with plastic beads by the way, NEVER heard of something like that before!!