Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 86: Museum Boijmans van Beuningen

Tuesday night I was at the weekly Rotterdam CS meeting. It was a large meeting, even for Rotterdam standards. There must have been between 40-50 people show up for the meeting. I hardly managed to talk to all of them, but I did manage to meet the right ones to give me an activity for the next day. So, the next morning I set out with two Austrian CS'ers to see the Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam. It actually happens to be the first museum I've seen in Rotterdam. I don't know how I've managed to be here almost three months and not visit any of the museums, but I guess I have. Anyways, the museum is Rotterdam's major art museum. Named after two philanthropists who helped to bring together most of the collection, it inculdes many major Dutch and European works from the middle ages to the present day. There was works by Reubens, van Gogh and Rembrandt. The museum is quite nice and probably takes about 3 hours to see properly.
This is probably one of my favourites. It's called: Juno receiving the eyes of Argus from Mercury. I'm not sure who it's by, but it is quite gruesome and lovely I think.
This next one by Ludolph de Jongh is actually a view of Rotterdam from about 1660. The church you can see in the back ground is still there today. (at least a version of it is)
This next one is a portrait of Armand Roulin by Vincent van Gogh.

No comments: